Thursday, August 18, 2011

for dinner

I made Kitchen Sink Soup for dinner tonight.

you know Anything but the kitchen sink.
(I also made more pudding.  it took less that 10 minutes!)

The only thing that is a constant in KSS is homemade chicken broth.

Today I made the broth with chicken breast bones from last night, an onion, a carrot, mushroom stems and basil leaves.  I simmered it until it smelled too good to bare anymore, then I drained the broth into a bowl and dumped the stuff, except for the carrot, I added that to the soup.
The premise of KSS is that you add what you have on hand.  Today it was:

Left over chicken
corn cut off a fresh cob
green beans
Shitaki mushrooms (the stems went into the broth!)
the carrot from the broth
buckwheat noodles.

I boiled the broth, added the stuff and waited for the noodles to be done.  Then I added more basil leaves.

I seldom don't add corn.  Usually it's frozen...
I often add a sausage.  I slice it up from frozen and add it in.
Then I add what ever veg. is in the fridge and other things laying around.  Zucchini, broccoli, garlic, onion, rice, soup beans (the cook quick), wild rice, carrots, potato, sweet potato, squash, spinach, shrimp, leftover meat/veg/pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment